Read the 17 points below ad then discuss the following issue:
In ‘Oliver Twist’, clothes play an important role in the construction of identities.
- What we wear sometimes reflects who we are.
- What we wear does not necessarily reflect who we are.
- People tend to judge others by what they wear
- Clothes sometimes hide who/what we are.
- People often act/behave/think in a particular manner because of what they wear
- New clothes can’t change who we really are but sometimes change something in us.
- What we wear affects who we are sometimes
- Different social roles require different clothes
- Different occasions require different clothes
- Clothes can be attached to certain memories
- Certain kinds of clothes can give freedoms
- Certain kinds of clothes impose limitations
- Clothes might determine one’s class, religion, job, class, football team, favourite player…
- Clothes reflect ones age and psychology
- We might react differently to the same situation depending on what we are wearing.
- Certain clothes can win someone other’s sympathy.
- Sometimes clothes can help people to move from one class to another.
Can you add more ideas?