Fill the gaps with the correct tenses (active or passive voice).
1. In the year 122 AD, the Roman Emperor Hadrian (visit) his provinces in Britain.
2. On his visit, the Roman soldiers (tell) him that Pictish tribes from Britain’s north (attack) them.
3. So Hadrian (give) the order to build a protective wall across one of the narrowest parts of the country.
4. After 6 years of hard work, the Wall (finish) in 128.
5. It (be) 117 kilometres long and about 4 metres high.
6. The Wall (guard) by 15,000 Roman soldiers.
7. Every 8 kilometres there (be) a large fort in which up to 1,000 soldiers (find) shelter.
8. The soldiers (watch) over the frontier to the north and (check) the people who (want) to enter or leave Roman Britain.
9. In order to pass through the Wall, people (must go) to one of the small forts that (serve) as gateways.
10. Those forts (call) milecastles because the distance from one fort to another (be) one Roman mile (about 1,500 metres).
11. Between the milecastles there (be) two turrets from which the soldiers (guard) the Wall.
12. If the Wall (attack) by enemies, the soldiers at the turrets (run) to the nearest milecastle for help or (light) a fire that (can / see) by the soldiers in the milecastle.
13. In 383 Hadrian’s Wall (abandon) .
14. Today Hadrian’s Wall (be) the most popular tourist attraction in northern England.
15. In 1987, it (become) a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Rewrite the sentences in passive voice.
1. John collects money.
2. Anna opened the window.
3. We have done our homework.
4. I will ask a question.
5. He can cut out the picture.
6. The sheep ate a lot.
7. We do not clean our rooms.
8. William will not repair the car.
9. Did Sue draw this circle?
10. The manager gave them a discount..
1. Paul (send) to prison. (Future tense)
2. My brother (just beat) in the race. (Present perfect)
3. He (tell) to wait outside. (Past tense)
4. I (not pay) for the work. (Past tense)
5. Policemen (often ask) for the way. (Present tense)
6. They lawn (cut) once a week. (Present tense)
7. We (ask) by the police. (Future tense)
8. The towels (not use). (Past tense)
9. He (not sell) the jewels. (Present perfect)
10. They (teach) French. (Present tense)
11. The fire brigade (phone) soon after the fire broke out. (Past perfect)
12. You (laugh) at if you talk such nonsense. (Future tense)
13. All the fruits (eat up) by the guests. (Past tense)
14. The letter (answer) tomorrow. (Future tense)
15. Stamps (sell) here. (Present tense)
Choose the best passive voice.
1. IFL bought Nessafe.
Nessafe had been bought by IFL.
Nessafe was bought by IFL.
Nessafe is bought by IFL.
2. Fred asked Simon.
Simon was asked by Fred.
Simon had been asked by Fred
Simon is asked by Fred.
3. Caroline paid for the meal.
The meal is paid for by Caroline.
The meal has been paid for by Caroline.
The meal was paid for by Caroline
4. Harry will meet you at the airport.
You will have been met by Harry at the airport.
You will be met by Harry at the airport.
You would be met by Harry at the airport.
5. Tom respects Lindsay’s opinion.
Lindsay’s opinion would be respected by Tom.
Lindsay’s opinion was respected by Tom.
Lindsay’s opinion is respected by Tom.
6. Jane upset me by what she said.
I would be upset by what Jane said.
I was upset by what Jane said.
I would have been upset by what Jane said.
7. I’m going to inform John later today.
John would be informed by me later today.
John was informed by me later today.
John is going to be informed by me later today.
8. The police arrested 12 people.
12 people were arrested by the police.
12 people have been arrested by the police.
12 people should be arrested by the police.
9. Shiela might come to see you tomorrow.
You might be visited by Shiela tomorrow.
You will might be visited by Shiela tomorrow.
You would be visited by Shiela tomorrow.
10. Frank Sinatra sang My Way..
My Way was sung by Frank Sinatra.
My Way had been sung by Frank Sinatra.
My Way would be sung by Frank Sinatra.
1. They make shoes in that factory.
2. People must not leave bicycles in the driveway.
3. They built that skyscraper in 1934.
4. The students will finish the course by July.
5. They are repairing the streets this month.
6. They make these tools of plastic.
7. They have finished the new product design.
8. They were cooking dinner when I arrived.
9. Smithers painted ‘Red Sunset’ in 1986.
10. Did the plan interest you?
11. They had finished the preparations by the time the guests arrived.
12. You should take care when working on electrical equipment.
13. They are going to perform Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony next weekend.
14. Someone will speak Japanese at the meeting.
15. Karen is going to prepare the refreshments.
Put in the correct form of the verb in Passive into the gaps. Use the verb and the tense given in brackets.
A letter __________ by Peter. (to write – Simple Present)
A letter is written by Peter.
1) The words by the teacher today. (to explain – Simple Present)
2) We a letter the day before yesterday. (to send – Simple Past)
3) This car . It’s too old. (not/to steal – will-future)
4) This street because of snow. (already/to close – Present Perfect)
5) A new restaurant next week. (to open – will-future)
6) He to the party yesterday. (to invite – Simple Past)
7) The blue box . (can/not/to see – Simple Present)
8) I the book by my friend last Sunday. (to give – Simple Past)
9) The dishes by my little brother. (not/to wash – Present Perfect)
10) I by Robert. (not/to ask – will-future)
Active or Passive Voice
Make a choice by clicking on the radio button, then compare it with the correct answer hidden under the answer button.
Everybody ___ by the terrible news yesterday.
Mr. Green ___ at the University since 1989.
has been teaching
has been taught
Not much ___ about the accident since that time.
has been said
A new book ___ by that company next year.
will be published
He ___ the girl’s name now.
The secretary ___ to her new boss yesterday.
Our plan ___ by the members of the committee.
is being considered
He ___ responsible for the accident.
A prize ___ to whoever solves this equation.
will be giving
will be given
When the manager arrived, the problem ___ .
had already been solved.
had already solved