ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY OF GAZA
Department of Physics
Mathematical Physics I
Instructor: Dr. Sofyan A. Taya
Associate Professor of Physics
Vice Dean for admission and registration
Office: Room 2, Deanery of admission and registration
Office hours: SMW 10:00 – 11:00 and N 11:00 – 12:00.
Semester: Spring Semester 2012-2013
Total Credits: 3 credit hours.
– Vector analysis (Triple products, differentiation, gradient, curl, divergence, Laplacian, integration, Green's theorem, Stokes and divergence theorems).
– Coordinate systems (Curvilinear coordinates, special coordinate systems, separation of variables).
– Determinants (Properties, solution of equations, Jacobian, Wronskian)
– Matrices (Algebra of matrices, applications, special types, solution of equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors).
– Infinite series (Taylor's and Maclaurin's expansions).
– Complex variables (Algebra, Euler's formula, de Moivre's theorem, transformations, functions of a complex variable, contour integral, Cauchy's theorem, residue, poles).
Textbook: G. Stephenson, Mathematical methods for science students, 2nd edition.
1- M. Boas, Mathematical methods in the physical sciences, 2nd edition.
2- G. Arfken, Mathematical methods for physicists, 6th edition.
3- K.F. RILEY, M.P. HOBSON and S. J. BENCE, Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering, 3rd edition.
This course is intended to provide the students with the mathematics they need for advanced undergraduate courses such as Electromagnetic Theory and Quantum Mechanics. It is also intended to develop a strong mathematical background for those who will pursue their study in the field of theoretical physics.
Midterm exam will be held on Sunday 21/04/2013.